ACT NOW! -
Tell Stephen Harper: Don’t Deport Hinzman Family!
U.S. Iraq War resister Jeremy Hinzman and his wife and two children have been ordered to leave Canada by September 23rd.
In spite of Hinzman’s four and a half years living, working and raising a family in Canada, the Harper government plans to deport him to the United States where he will likely face a court martial and a potential military jail sentence and felony conviction. This flies in the face of democracy and the will of Canadians: Parliament passed a motion in support of war resisters June 3rd, 82% of Canadians oppose the Iraq war (Strategic Counsel poll), and 64% of Canadians support war resisters (Angus Reid poll).
WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW:
– Read the War Resisters Support Campaign press release and circulate it widely
– Tell Immigration Minister Diane Finley to use her power to stop deportation of war resisters and allow war resisters to stay in Canada. Tell Prime Minister Stephen Harper to Let The War Resisters Stay!
The Right Hon. Stephen Harper
Phone: (613) 992-4211
The Hon. Diane Finley
Ottawa office: (613) 954-1064
Simcoe office: (519) 426-3400
Dunnville Office: (905) 701-1881
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com / Minister@cic.gc.ca
Make these points when you contact them –
- respect Parliament and implement the June 3rd motion in support of war resisters staying in Canada
- 82% of Canadians oppose the Iraq war
- 64% of Canadians in an Angus Reid national poll want war resisters to stay in Canada
- Jeremy Hinzman and his family have lived and worked here for over 4 years and made a real contribution; they should not be deported because they oppose the Iraq war
HELP MAKE SEPTEMBER 13 DAY OF ACTION A SUCCESS
September 13th is a pan-Canadian Day of Action to support war resisters to call on the Harper government to stop the deportations. Aactions, demonstrations, and pickets will take place in cities and towns all across Canada.
Organize a local action for September 13th. Let the War Resisters Support Campaign what you are planning.
Phone: (416) 598-1222